Thursday, March 1, 2012

Italian Lessons


Word of the post is: imparando; learning, as in “I’m imparando Italian and wish for you to give me a break.”


We’ve been in Aviano 3 weeks and I’m a tiny bit closer to assimilation. Not that we blend in, I think the locals can spot us from a mile away; at least until someone tries to speak to me in rapid fire Italian. The good thing is, a few second later, they are very well aware that I am in fact American. Randy and I may have found “the house.” The problem is, however, that the home is not available until Mid May. Randy and I (if I may, mostly me) are searching for a two month rental. Unfortunately for us, Italian law makes short term rentals basically unheard of. We’ll continue to persevere through the mess that is Italian real estate law, but until then we are residing at the Residence Posta.


I always considered myself relatively high maintenance, so it is with some pride that I live moderately satisfied in the Residence Posta. My positive attitude certainly is a product of the hotel’s position in Italy. While our “suite” does not have internet, a microwave, an oven, or a shower that stays hot for more than two minutes, the staff is great and the room is warm. 

A Night In-Soup's On

Also, it is steps away from down town Aviano. Randy and I are quickly making our way through the town’s restaurant circuit.

Austrian Food & Beer at Birreria Sacro Graal
Our Welcome to the 510th Pizza at El Mordisco
Oh hi Valentine's Day Pizza-Sicilian Style at Pogue Mahone's


Living amongst the people has given me the opportunity to practice my fledging Italian. Each time I have an interaction that results in any kind of two-way understanding, I take away an intense feeling of satisfaction and not a small amount of sweat.

Aviano

Sacile, Hopefully our Future Home



 In pursuit of the Italian language, Randy and I found a local language class in the Aviano library. We entered the library in search of the teacher Letizia. The women downstairs directed us (mostly with gestures) to a room upstairs. I opened the door to the room and found myself interrupting a large class with a small woman I presumed to be Letizia front and center. I about-faced myself out of there and ran down the stairs. Letizia followed me out and ushered Randy and I into the crowded classroom. I apologized for the distraction and tried to leave, but little Letizia forced Randy and I into chairs at the front of the classroom. Rather than hand me the form for classroom entrance, Letizia asked me for my information and filled it out herself. Ever the multi-tasker, Letizia interspersed her questions for me with questions in Italian to her multicultural students. I was still trying to minimize my distraction, so my answers were given in a weird semi whispery voice. Several red-faced minutes later Randy and I left the classroom.  

Nothing really to do with the story, but I think this picture's funny



Once we made it to the car, Randy gave me a very hard time about my awkward performance. The strangest thing about it was it barely bothered me at all. Randy was practically cringing during and after, while I left the place feeling happy that I signed up for Italian lessons. I just wanted to let you all to know that I think due to the amount of abuse taken, my awkwardness registers are severely broken.


No comments:

Post a Comment