Randy and I have landed, unpacked, and begun the arduous
process of moving in. The first few days were rough. We would be up until about
4:00 am and then have to peel ourselves out of bed at 1:00 pm. We are still not
used to the 6 hour time distance (6 hrs later than Eastern Standard) but at
least I don’t feel like a drunken zombie at noon anymore.
On Friday, we met with an Italian realtor and have
started house hunting. Right now we’re staying in an economy apartment on base,
which is fine for a bit-especially since the heat is now working…
On Saturday, we met a number of people from Randy’s new
squadron, the 510th Buzzards. A few years ago Randy was a buzzsaw,
which made me a buzzsaw babe by proxy. Now I’m a buzzette. I’ve come full
circle. Our squadron hosted a dinner for us in downtown Aviano at a restaurant
called Casablanca. I had pear ravioli and Randy had pumpkin pizza (both amazing).
And vino, lots of vino. We were very lucky to have sponsors who planned this
evening, took us to the mall (Randy has an Italian coat now), and drove us to
and from this dinner. To continue my evening of firsts I used a thing called “a
squatty potty” which I haven’t decided whether I abhor or adore.
![]() | |||
| Not Casablanca's actual squatty potty. Their's was much cleaner. But this is it, basically. |
Randy will probably begin working next week, whereas I’ll
continue living the life of luxury while I wait for my license to come through.
Randy and I are both stationed at Aviano Air Base. Aviano is a town located in
the province of Pordenone. Pordenone is in the region of Friuli-Venezia Giulia.
All of this is located in Northeast Italy. We can see the base of the Dolomite
Mountains from our apartment’s window right now actually and it’s awesome.
We plan to stay within 20 miles from the base itself. We’re
looking at a few regions and spent Sunday (today) driving around and getting
ourselves acquainted with the area. Pordenone is visually so different from the
places I have lived in. Many of the houses are massive antiques reflecting the
history of each quaint village. The streets are narrow and winding. Towns only
distanced by a mile or so can dramatically shift in style and pace. You can be
entertained just by driving down one very long street as you pass village after
village. Well I was entertained anyway; poor Randy was driving on these very
narrow winding streets and trying to decipher equally long winding street
signs. The entire time I interpreted all the Italian words I knew. This
probably distracted him more than it aided him. Maledizione.
We started our day in Polcenigo. This house is pretty
amazing and close to base, but it’s quite isolated and the town is molto small.
We then traveled to Sacile, the biggest town in the area.
There are many restaurants, shops, and people which are pluses for us. This is
likely as far as we’ll live from base. I tried to creep on this house and take a picture. I bet the renters thought I was casing the joint.
Next, we drove by a town right outside of Sacile, Fontana
Fredda. It’s smaller than Sacile, but
close enough that we can still be in the mix. We saw inside this house, it's actually huge.
Finally this house was in teeny tiny Sedrano. It was fully furnished and very close to base. The problem was, however, it’s also far from where most of our co-workers are located.
We have about a month to find a place to live and we have
gotten “our boots on the ground.” I have personally used this time to practice
my very basic Italian on the kind people of Italia and Randy. Poor Randy. Well,
fino alla prossima volta (until next time).
Ps. Last night, after I wrote most of this I couldn't fall asleep again. Today I feel like a drunken zombie. Maledizione.

I love seeing the pictures :) Can't wait to see more!
ReplyDeleteI agree, the more pictures the better!!! I miss you more than I can admit......but so excited for all the upcoming adventures, including our two week tour coming up sooner than later!! I plan on eating excessively, drinking vino, and pretending that I am a born and raised italian (my last name is kinda Vitale-very italian)
ReplyDeleteI miss you guys. Randy and I are staying in Aviano tomorrow night and will get a feel for the town. We plan to talk to a travel agent Thursday!! Get excited.
ReplyDelete