Wednesday, February 1, 2012

All in One Piece

Dumb, real dumb.

Let me begin with: everything turned out ok. So, Randy and I totally screwed up our sleep schedules. We arrived in Italy at 3:30 Italian time, 10:30 Eastern Standard time; after a night of minimal sleep aboard a plan with two dogs. We were greeted by several members of our new squadron. 

Our sponsors took us to our TLF (temporary housing) and were so generous to give us a bag of groceries. I fell asleep (against my will and better judgment) at about 5:30. At 10:00 pm I woke up and realized I was screwed-I was awake according to no kind of time zone. I accepted my fate and decided to take the dogs out. We’re on the first floor, but it’s actually one above ground level.  I couldn’t find the stairs so I took them on the elevator. 

The door to the elevator had closed when I realized I had Nina’s leash in my hand, that it was connected to her, and that she was NOT IN THE ELEVATOR. I quickly pressed the open door button, but it rudely did not comply and I tossed the handle in the air and watched it raise one floor above me. My inner monologue screamed “this is my worst nightmare” while I tried to find the staircase after I left the elevator. I didn’t and ran back on the elevator, went back up one floor, and found my little dog. She was unscathed and oblivious and still attached. WOW. I realized I better wake up and get my head on straight before I dismember my pets. The irony is that Nina is scared of wood floors and her harness, but her near death experience went by completely unnoticed. Geez-welcome to Italy.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my! So did the leash slip back through the door or was it still stuck in the doors??? If it stayed stuck between the doors, I'm glad she didn't have a short leash!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O it was stuck in the doors. I was lucky for three things 1)the leash was long 2) it was only one floor and 3) no one had pressed the elevator button in the interim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes. I'm sorry, but I just keep imagining how grisly that could have turned out...

      Delete